8.2.1 CNAMEs not authoritative?

Matthew Mengel Matthew.Mengel at usq.edu.au
Tue Aug 17 06:17:58 UTC 1999

<snip original message>

> Is your server accessible from the Internet?  Can you give us
> some examples
> to try?

Unfortunately not at this time, but read on, it need not be any more....

<snip more original message>

> Do you have names that have "CNAME and other data" errors?

Checking.... a yes, I have 1.  Seems to be an old server with a CNAME that
has an MX pointing at it (damn these old zone files - the machine doesn't
even exist any more!).  Did not notice it in amongst all the TTL warnings
for the 60 zones.

Fixing.... Restarting....

Yep, looks good.  I'm not getting non-authoritative messages for CNAME
lookups now.  Looks like that did the trick.  Maybe I should get my eyes
checked (again) :)

Thanks
Matthew