Bind 8.2.1 transfer errors??

Ronald Procopio RonaldMarkProcopio at netscape.net
Tue Aug 17 02:32:13 UTC 1999

I have recently upgraded a primary server to 8.2.1 .  I have not had an
problems with theprimary - the problems I see are with the secondary.
Running BIND 8.1.2 it was fine but whe I upgraded the secondary server
to 8.2.1 it wouldn't talk to the primary.  a manual transfer revealed an
error code of "4" which I don't find documented only 0-3 are listed in
the DNS and BIND book.  it did a transfer I got a file but it gave an
error code of 4.  have to belive this is something new with the 8.2.1 as
8.1.2 works fine.  I alos have no problem with the servers reverse
having the primary as 8.1.2 and the secondary as 8.2.1.

I didn't realize the error until i notied it hadn't picked up any
changes and some of the other zones had "expired".

In the syslog I would get a error like so:

sysnotify: not auth for zone dummy.zone

Does this have to do with the new security in BIND 8.2.1 and how can I
correct the problem?

And can someone verify thet erroe code 4 means not authorized? and if
I'm not authorized why did it send the zone?

---------
#named-xfer -s 0 -f tmp.file -z dummy.zone ip.of.primary.server ; echo
$?
4
#

the file "tmp.file" is created and has all the zone information is
inside as expected.

NOTE I didn't give the actual zone as transfers are restriceted to just
the secondary servers. and this does work with 8.1.2 the problem is with
8.2.1
?