Root servers

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Aug 18 15:16:03 UTC 1999

In article <OF9A18B090.D0CB296B-ON852567D1.000A6ACD at factset.com>,
 <Kathleen_Moriarty/FactSet%FACTSET at factset.com> wrote:
>I am having intermittent problems resolving certain host names for periods
>of a few hours at a time over the past few days.  I believe I tracked does
>the problem to intermittent packet loss to 4 of the root servers.

That shouldn't be a big problem.  Your server should use the root servers
that have given good response time in the past, and avoid the ones that it
has trouble reaching.

>								    The
>problem in each case is not on my ISPs networks, but after I leave their
>networks.  I am following up with my ISPs, but wanted to know if other
>people were experiencing the same problem.  Root server are also not always
>able to contact the primary and secondary servers for my domain name as we
>ran into trouble last night when one of our servers could not be resolved -

Most root servers have recursion disabled, so they shouldn't try to contact
your servers at all.

>that cleared up on it's own.  I guess when the cache expired and during a
>time we were not seeing the packet loss.
>
>We are having the most problems with domain names from other countries -
>.jp, .es, .br, etc.

Then perhaps your problem isn't with the root servers, but with
communication to those countries' TLD servers.

>Also, I have not seen mail on this list in a few days?

Then I think you're also having trouble with your mail server.  I read this
in the newsgroup and there have been postings every day.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com