domain.com.domain.com being looked up for local names?

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Aug 20 07:20:20 UTC 1999

> My apologies, the info was in the debug, I just had it backward.
>
> :)
>
> The first question was for me.wanted, which was not found, so cisco.com
> was appended for the second query. In older versions, the reverse would
> have happened.

	Correct.

> I am on vacation.

	Enjoy.

> Coincidentally, my old Sparc 5 at work
> was replaced tonight with a new Ultra, so no wonder I am confused.

	As I have being trying to point out there is not just one
	behaviour.

> I just hope they copied my /local directory over somewhere.

	I hope so too.

> Instead of "always appends" I should have said older versions would
> append the domain name if there was no trailing dot.

	Something like that.

	The resolver and nslookup should match each other in behaviour
	unless the vendor has stuffed up.  With newer resolvers you can
	"setenv RES_OPTIONS debug" and see the behaviour that way.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org