Is it possible to dynamically add new zone in bind 8.2.1?

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Tue Aug 24 00:00:15 UTC 1999

G. Liu <gliu at interland.net> wrote in message
news:<199908231726.SM00119 at liam.interland.net>...
> I know that bind 8.2.1 can support dynamic update, as my own
understanding, it can dynamic update RR records only if the zone already
loaded by bind. If I want to add a new zone, I'll have to create the zone
files and restart named. Since there are a huge amount of zone files in my
name server, it need long time for named to stat() all zone files and load
new zones into memory.

> Is it possible to add new zones without re-start bind (dynamically add new
> zones and new zone take effect immediately, just as adding a new host in
> an existing zone)?

There will be shortly.  BIND 8.2.2 will allow you to say:

# ndc reconfig

to do just what you described (reparse named.conf for added or deleted
zones).

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.