Is it possible to dynamically add new zone in bind 8.2.1?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Aug 24 13:50:48 UTC 1999

In article <199908231726.SM00119 at liam.interland.net>,
G. Liu <gliu at interland.net> wrote:
>Is it possible to add new zones without re-start bind (dynamically add
>new zones and new zone take effect immediately, just as adding a new host
>in an existing zone)?

"ndc reload" re-reads named.conf and loads in any new or changed zones.
Since BIND 8 it has been much faster than "ndc restart", because it does
this in the background and allows named to continue responding while it's
working.

"ndc reconfig", which another poster mentioned, is similar, but just loads
in new zones, it doesn't look for changed zone files.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com