Dynamically add new zone in bind 8.2.1

G. Liu gliu at interland.net
Tue Aug 24 13:12:59 UTC 1999

Hi,

I know that bind 8.2.1 can support dynamic update, as my own understanding,
it can dynamic update RR records only if the zone already loaded by bind.
If I want to add a new zone, I'll have to create the zone files and restart
named. Since there are a huge amount of zone files in my name server, it
need long time for named to stat() all zone files and load new zones into
memory.

Is it possible to add new zones without re-start bind (dynamically add new
zones and new zone take effect immediately, just as adding a new host in
an existing zone)?

Thanks for your kind suggestion.

Best Regards,

Liu