ndc Problems

Brookhouse, Edward (CRTRES) Edward.Brookhouse at concert.com
Tue Aug 24 14:44:11 UTC 1999

> This is Bind 8.2.1 on a Solaris 2.5.1(w/ patches) compiled by GCC 2.8.1 --
>

> After installing a patch I had found on this list that might have fixed
> this, I am still having the following prob...
>
> when I issue an "ndc start" ; ndc replies that the server did not start
> and I see in 'messages'  ctl_server: bind: Address already in use.
>
> The named daemon will actually start but it will not respond to queries
> ...I have removed the S72inetsvc entries for named.

I have an ndc in /usr/local/sbin that is 755 root:staff - Should there be a
/var/run/ndc ?

Also my boot.conf has  this in it....

controls {
        unix "/var/run/ndc" perm 0600 owner 0 group 10;  // the default
};

So I know something is wrong - I'm just not sure how this file gets in
/var/run ;)

Thanks for the help

> Edward B

the system manager.