Is it possible to dynamically add new zone in bind 8.2.1?

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Tue Aug 24 15:07:04 UTC 1999

G. Liu <gliu at interland.net> wrote in message
news:<Pine.LNX.4.04.9908241022030.1456-100000 at guangbin.interland.net>...
> What's the difference between "ndc reload" and send SIGHUP signal to
> named?

Before BIND 8.2, nothing.  After BIND 8.2, ndc can send messages to named
across a control channel, and if you use this mode of operation, ndc reload
simply sends a reload message across the channel.

> Both of them are reloading zones. After I sent SIGHUP to named, will
> named continue to respond to DNS query before reloading is completed?

During the reload, the name server may stop responding briefly.

> I'm running BIND 8.2.1, I can't find the paraameter "reconfig", and no
> "reconfig" is mentioned in the manual.

Maybe you should try reading my posting again.  8.2.1 < 8.2.2.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.