Newbie question: determining best values for use in $TTL and SOA on Bind 8.2.x

bind at narada.col7.metta.lk bind at narada.col7.metta.lk
Fri Aug 27 17:27:56 UTC 1999

On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 07:22:26AM -0500, Albert T. Croft wrote:

Hi Albert,

newbie to newbie
Below is a cut from the rfc
It comes along with the DOC when you download named from the site.
That is if you downloaded it,   or you use a standard version.
File: rfc1033           Col 0              36034 bytes
TTL's  (Time To Live)

   It is important that TTLs are set to appropriate values.  The TTL is
   the time (in seconds) that a resolver will use the data it got from
   your server before it asks your server again.  If you set the value
   too low, your server will get loaded down with lots of repeat
   requests.  If you set it too high, then information you change will
   not get distributed in a reasonable amount of time.  If you leave the
   TTL field blank, it will default to what is specified in the SOA
   record for the zone.

   Most host information does not change much over long time periods.  A
   good way to set up your TTLs would be to set them at a high value,
   and then lower the value if you know a change will be coming soon.
   You might set most TTLs to anywhere between a day (86400) and a week
   (604800).  Then, if you know some data will be changing in the near
   future, set the TTL for that RR down to a lower value (an hour to a
   day) until the change takes place, and then put it back up to its
   previous value.

   Also, all RRs with the same name, class, and type should have the
   same TTL value.
$TTL            86400 ; default time-to-live - 24 hours

@    IN      SOA     narada.col7.metta.lk. metta.col7.metta.lk.
This is how it should come above the @ ..... in your zone files.

best regards
Jacob