bind-8.2.2-P5 hangs on defunct named-xfer

Jan-Erik Eriksson jee at alcom.aland.fi
Wed Dec 1 13:36:22 UTC 1999

Hi,

We are running bind-8.2.2-P5 with the nc_ctl.c patch on a redhat 6.1 i386
box. About once a day I get a zombie named-xfer, marked as <defunct> in
the ps listing.

When this happens named stops answering requests. It remains bound to it's
listen port, so that clients believe it is working ok. This means that the
fallback to the next nameserver, stated in resolv.conf, never happens.

This behaviour was not anything I saw in 8.1.x. Is this a known bug? any
fixes available?

Also, I might add, that a SOA syntax that worked previously does not
work any longer. We have:

@               IN      SOA     ns.alcom.aland.fi.
hostmaster.alcom.aland.fi. (
                                1999110201      ; Serial
                                28800           ; Refresh
                                7200            ; Retry
                                604800          ; Expire
                                86400           ; Default TTL
                                )

Which gives the following syslog message:
Nov 30 14:07:44 aragon named[17893]: Zone "alcom.aland.fi" (file
db-alcom.aland.fi): No default TTL set using SOA minimum instead

This syntax is OK though:

@               IN      SOA     ns.alcom.aland.fi.
hostmaster.alcom.aland.fi. (
                                1999110201      ; Serial
                                28800           ; Refresh
                                7200            ; Retry
                                604800          ; Expire
                                86400 )         ; Default TTL

A bit irritating to have to edit all master zones ...

-- Janne
------------- ÅLCOM ------------- Network Operations Center ---------
Jan-Erik Eriksson		mailto: jee at alcom.aland.fi
ÅLCOM				phone: +358 18 23500
PB 233, Torggatan 10		fax: +358 18 14643
FIN-22100 Mariehamn		URL: http://www.alcom.aland.fi