bind-8.2.2-P5 hangs on defunct named-xfer

Mark.Andrews at iengines.com Mark.Andrews at iengines.com
Thu Dec 2 04:37:43 UTC 1999

> Hi,
>
> We are running bind-8.2.2-P5 with the nc_ctl.c patch on a redhat 6.1 i386
> box. About once a day I get a zombie named-xfer, marked as <defunct> in
> the ps listing.
>
> When this happens named stops answering requests. It remains bound to it's
> listen port, so that clients believe it is working ok. This means that the
> fallback to the next nameserver, stated in resolv.conf, never happens.

	We have had no reports of named not reaping its children with
	the current release.  Failing to reap a child should not cause
	the problems you are describing.  Also named not answering will
	not prevent the resolver from falling over to the next nameserver.

	Firstly please confirm that you are running BIND 8.2.2-P5, use
	ndc status.

	Second can you please get a system call trace when named gets into
	this state.

	Thirdly is there anything being logged when this occurs.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Internet Engines Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at iengines.com