BIND and HP-UX

Ralf Hildebrandt R.Hildebrandt at tu-bs.de
Thu Dec 2 13:07:13 UTC 1999

On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 09:51:13PM -0700, Bill Larson wrote:

> HP-UX uses a highly modified version of "nslookup" in the SAM Administration
> tool.  If you replace this with the "nslookup" from BIND-8 (or BIND-4 for
> that matter), you will break parts of SAM.
Ah, good tip!
I use dig anyway.

> Also, if you simply install "named" and "named-xfer" in their normal
> place,
> /usr/sbin, you will end up with a mess when you upgrade your system, and
> another version of named is installed automatically.  I have kept my BIND
> executables, libraries, etc., in /opt/named to avoid this problem.

Nope. I talked to Lamont Jones and he said that swinstall would check
if a self-built (sendmail|named) would be overwritten - and wouldn't
install it then.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt <R.Hildebrandt at tu-bs.de> www.stahl.bau.tu-bs.de/~hildeb
"Those who do not understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it -- badly."