BIND and HP-UX

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Thu Dec 2 04:51:13 UTC 1999

Just a warning for people upgrading HP-UX boxes to BIND-8.  I believe that
this is a general comment for all versions of HP-UX, but I could easily
be
incorrect.

HP-UX uses a highly modified version of "nslookup" in the SAM Administration
tool.  If you replace this with the "nslookup" from BIND-8 (or BIND-4 for
that matter), you will break parts of SAM.

For those of us that are trying to use a newer version of BIND on HP-UX
systems (HP-UX 10.x or 11.x), do NOT overwrite the HP distributed version
of nslookup with the nslookup that is compiled with BIND.

Also, if you simply install "named" and "named-xfer" in their normal
place,
/usr/sbin, you will end up with a mess when you upgrade your system, and
another version of named is installed automatically.  I have kept my BIND
executables, libraries, etc., in /opt/named to avoid this problem.

Bill Larson (wllarso at swcp.com)