Bind 8.2.2 p5 for NT and listen-on statements

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Dec 8 16:29:35 UTC 1999

In article <NCBBLILLBFLNOIGLHCKCOEBKCEAA.maillist at nudaymedia.com>,
Chavous P. Camp <chavousc at nudaymedia.com> wrote:
>Anyone know how to get 8.2.2 p5 to listen on a certain IP address on
>a multi-homed system?
>This is what I've got in named.conf right now:
>
>options {
>	listen-on [ 53 ] { 0.0.0.0; };
>};
>But it still only binds to the first IP on the box.

0.0.0.0 is usually translated by the IP stack to the first address on the
system.

>This is what used to be in there:
>options {
>	listen-on [ 53 ] { 208.150.166.36; };
>};
>But even with that it STILL only binds to the first IP on the box.

That looks like a syntax error -- the square brackets are not part of the
syntax of the "listen-on" option.

The syntax should be:

options {
  listen-on { 208.150.166.36; };
}

You don't need to specify port 53, since that's the default.  If you wanted
to specify a different port, it would be:

options {
  listen-on port 54 { 208.150.166.36; };
}

>Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.  I'm going to have to drop
>back to 4.x.x for a while until I can figure out a fix for it.

How would that help, since BIND 4 doesn't provide any way to do this; it
always binds to all IP's.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com