Bind 8.2.2 p5 for NT and listen-on statements

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Dec 8 18:49:56 UTC 1999

In article <NCBBLILLBFLNOIGLHCKCIEBMCEAA.maillist at nudaymedia.com>,
Chavous P. Camp <chavousc at nudaymedia.com> wrote:
>Also, I tried the suggestion, it caused bind to not listen on ANY
>port Any IP. so I added port 53 to make my option statement look
>like:
>
>options {
>  listen-on 53 { 208.150.166.36; };
>}

That is *still* not valid syntax.  If you want to specify a port, you have
to put the word "port" before it.  The two valid syntaxes are:

	listen-on { 208.150.166.36; };
	listen-on port 53 { 208.150.166.36; };

>And it still listens on the first IP listed for the machine under NT
>network setup.

Oh, this is NT.  It works on Unix, I have no experience with BIND 8 on NT;
implementation of the listen-on and query-source options are very
OS-dependent (they differ among versions of Unix), so it's quite possible
that there's a bug in the NT port.  I don't know what NT's equivalent to
syslog is, but you should check it for error messages about your named.conf
file.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com