what's the usage of these files ?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Dec 14 10:33:39 UTC 1999

    Haicheng> hi gurus, I just compiled and installed BIND-8.2.2-p5 on
    Haicheng> my Sun box.  When I "make install", I found that it
    Haicheng> install some *.h and *.a in /usr/local/bind directory,
    Haicheng> such as libbind.a in /usr/local/bind/lib and resolv.h in
    Haicheng> /usr/local/bind/include . Then I tried ldd on named, but
    Haicheng> it showed me that it doesn't need libbind.a . So could
    Haicheng> you tell me are these files necessary for bind-8.2.2-p5
    Haicheng> , because I want to make all the binary and manpage
    Haicheng> files to a package and install to another machine.

These files are needed if you want to compile or link applications
with the up to date resolver library - which includes DNSSEC and IRS
support - in BIND8. [Most vendors ship really old DNS code.] If you're
not going to do this, you don't *have* to install the include files
and libbind.a. OTOH, it's better to have them and not need them than
need them and not have them IHMO.