what's the usage of these files ?

Ralf Hildebrandt R.Hildebrandt at tu-bs.de
Tue Dec 14 10:09:22 UTC 1999

On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 09:51:23AM +0800, Haicheng Yu wrote:
> hi gurus,
>
> I just compiled and installed BIND-8.2.2-p5 on my Sun box.
> When I "make install", I found that it install some *.h and *.a in
> /usr/local/bind directory, such as libbind.a in /usr/local/bind/lib and
> resolv.h in /usr/local/bind/include . Then I tried ldd on named, but it

These are includes and libs (for the resolver I think.)

> showed me that it doesn't need libbind.a . So could you tell me are these

Man - it's statically linked... Not dynamically.

> files necessary for bind-8.2.2-p5 , because I want to make all the binary
> and manpage files to a package and install to another machine.

Normally you don't need the libs and includes, just named, ndc, named-xfer,
nslookup, dig. Did I forget something?
Unless you want to do development on that other machine and want to use the
new resolver routines - THEN you'll also need the includes and libraries.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt <R.Hildebrandt at tu-bs.de> www.stahl.bau.tu-bs.de/~hildeb
Treat your password like your toothbrush. Don't let anybody else use it,