Named.conf on slave servers

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Dec 16 19:28:23 UTC 1999

In article <385920DD.904DE84C at cypresscom.net>,
Alex Pavluck  <apavluck at cypresscom.net> wrote:
>I am going to run Bind8 on 5 servers.  One server will be a Master and
>the other 4 will be Slaves.  I wanted to know if there is a simple way
>to set this up so that I don't have to update my named.conf files on all
>the Slave servers everytime I add a new domain.  Also is there a way to

No, there's no way to do that.  The only way a slave knows what domains
it's a slave for is by looking in its named.conf file.  There's no way to
configure "be a slave for all zones that <other machine> is master for".
There isn't even a way to find out what zones a machine is master or slave
for, other than by looking at its named.conf file or dumping its memory.

>lock a db when it is being changed and is there a way to log all changes
>to the db's.

Use a change management system like RCS, SCCS, or CVS.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com