named blocked by zone-transfers

Andreas Holzhammer Andreas.Holzhammer at kiosk-online.de
Thu Dec 16 21:12:44 UTC 1999

Andreas Holzhammer wrote:
Hi!

I just had to rebuild our master-nameserver from the tapes...
fortunately they were good ;-)

Unfortunately we had some work to get named up and running
again. It looks like the named-process (bind 8.2.2pl5) on
the master was blocked after sending out notifies for all
its approx. 300 master-zones to our two secondaries.
The slaves are also running bind 8.2.2pl5.

the master-nameserver would not resolve any queries, and
when I looked at the slave-servers I found two named-xfer
processes, which would try to transfer the zones for about
one minute.

I wonder why the transfers would take so long, as our zones
are very short (< 10 records each), and I have enabled
transfer-format many-answers.

To me it looks like the named-xfer processes just time-out
and don't get an answer. I disabled notifies on the master,
and all was up and running fine again, but for obvious
reasons I would like to enable notifies back again.

Any ideas what had happened here, and how to work arround
that?

The machines are all Linux based, if that matters.

Thanks,

    Andreas