Fake TLD's in the hint file

mtoren at hotmail.com mtoren at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 20 17:51:11 UTC 1999

That being the case, let me rephrase my question.  I am looking to set
up a private TLD for internal use.  For my Bind 8.x servers, I can do
this with a forward zone in the config file to the master, but this is
based on IP address of the zone master -- I would much prefer to be able
to specify a name of a root server (without glue records) for the fake
TLD.

For Bind 4.x, I thought you could do just this in the root hint file
(like my example from my previous post shows, except I made a type and
meant to say

fakeTLD. 99999 NS ....., etc NOT
.fakeTLD 99999,

But this doesn't work, at least not on the Bind 4.9.7 I have installed.

So I do have a method that works for 8.x (although it is based on IP
address, which I try to avoid), but I don't seem to anything that works
for my 4.9.7 servers.  I thought I remembered people doing this kind of
thing.

Thanks!
Monte Toren
mtoren at hotmail.com

In article <008901bf49c6$0425c680$b577a8ce at boulder.acmebw.com>,
  "Cricket Liu" <cricket at acmebw.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to specify a fake Top Level Domain in
> > my root cache file.  My understanding was that
> > something like the following should work:
> >
> > .fakeTLD 99999       NS NS1.myrealdomain.com.
> > NS1.myrealdomain.com. 99999 IN A 10.10.10.10
> >
> > Assuming, of course, that NS1.myrealdomain.com is
> > set up as a master for .fakeTLD.
> >
> > In my tests I can't get this to work.  The '.'
> > servers (root-servers.net) always seem to override
> > my more specific hint for the .fakeTLD domain.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Yeah, your understanding was wrong.  Anything in the
> root hints file besides NS records for the root zone and
> the A records for the corresponding name servers will
> be ignored.
>
> cricket
>
> Acme Byte & Wire
> cricket at acmebw.com
> www.acmebw.com
>
> Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
> DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
> the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.