Fake TLD's in the hint file

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Dec 20 21:22:35 UTC 1999

On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 05:51:11PM +0000, mtoren at hotmail.com wrote:
> That being the case, let me rephrase my question.  I am looking to set
> up a private TLD for internal use.  For my Bind 8.x servers, I can do
> this with a forward zone in the config file to the master, but this is
> based on IP address of the zone master -- I would much prefer to be able
> to specify a name of a root server (without glue records) for the fake
> TLD.
>
> For Bind 4.x, I thought you could do just this in the root hint file
> (like my example from my previous post shows, except I made a type and
> meant to say
>
> fakeTLD. 99999 NS ....., etc NOT
> .fakeTLD 99999,
>
> But this doesn't work, at least not on the Bind 4.9.7 I have installed.
>
> So I do have a method that works for 8.x (although it is based on IP
> address, which I try to avoid), but I don't seem to anything that works
> for my 4.9.7 servers.  I thought I remembered people doing this kind of
> thing.
>
> Thanks!
> Monte Toren
> mtoren at hotmail.com

In BIND 4, you could include any old lie in any old ZONE FILE, not root
cache hints file.  In later BIND 4s, this was only supported if a
certain flag was set.  This is one reason why it's better to use BIND 8.

But in BIND 4, as in BIND 8, all you really have to do is declare the
zone normally:

primary		fakeTLD		zone.fakeTLD

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B