Problem with Hint file?

Andrew J. Lillie andy at jay.bigdis.com
Tue Dec 21 01:25:35 UTC 1999

Hi, I just built BIND 8.2.2P5 on an AIX box and am having a problem.  I am
probably missing something really obvious, but I'm stumped.

The issue is, if I try to start named with an essentially "normal"
named.conf file (for instance one that I grabbed off of a BSDI box of mine
that is running BIND 8.2 also, or the one generated from my old named.conf
file |'ed through named-bootconf), the service starts, and within 1 second
or less, dies.

If, however, I rename the hint file or remove the entry for the hint zone
in my named.conf file, named runs fine.  (Well, it runs fine for local
zones, but obviously cannot perform externa lookups).

Any ideas?  I've tried at least 4 different hint files and all seem to
exhibit this issue.

Thanks,
Andrew