DNS configuration error

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Dec 21 18:42:28 UTC 1999

Thomas Langås wrote:

> Kevin Darcy wrote:
>
> > I'm going to take a wild guess here: you registered this domain through someone who
> > is providing the nameservice for the domain, right? And now you want to take
>
> No, it's my own domain, and I bought it at networksolutions.com, no middle man :-)
>
> However, what I want is this:
>
> The primary DNS today is soa.granitecanyon.com due to the fact that the box which is
> handling most for this domain is behind a DHCPd, so in order to let the outside world
> access this computer easily, that was the best way I could think of. But, I only wanted
> to configure the domain itself there, and set up everything else on my own box.  So the
> only thing that's on the granite-DNS is
>
> domain.com -> my BOXs IP
>
> (and some necessary stuff like soa and things)
>
> And, someone else told me that this was all I needed. If people tried to access
> www.domain.com the DNS requests would automatically go to my box, and I have a named
> running there...  However, this doesn't happen, so my question is, how do I do this...

Sorry, but I know next to nothing about how the Granite Canyon stuff works. Can you have
them just add the A/CNAME record for "www", or can you do it yourself through a Granite
Canyon-supplied interface? If all you want is one additional name in the domain,
delegating a subzone to your server seems like overkill. My preference would always be to
just host the whole domain on my own server(s), with secondary service on some
provider(s), but you said you had some sort of DHCPd complications...