DNS configuration error

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Dec 21 19:57:41 UTC 1999

In article <385FAFA9.81E5D785 at online.no>,
Thomas =?iso-8859-1?Q?Lang=E5s?=  <tlan at online.no> wrote:
>Kevin Darcy wrote:
>
>> I'm going to take a wild guess here: you registered this domain through
>someone who
>> is providing the nameservice for the domain, right? And now you want to take
>
>No, it's my own domain, and I bought it at networksolutions.com, no
>middle man :-)
>
>However, what I want is this:
>
>The primary DNS today is soa.granitecanyon.com due to the fact that the
>box which is
>handling most for this domain is behind a DHCPd, so in order to let the
>outside world
>access this computer easily, that was the best way I could think of. But,
>I only wanted
>to configure the domain itself there, and set up everything else on my
>own box.  So the
>only thing that's on the granite-DNS is
>
>domain.com -> my BOXs IP
>
>(and some necessary stuff like soa and things)
>
>And, someone else told me that this was all I needed. If people tried to access
>www.domain.com the DNS requests would automatically go to my box, and I
>have a named
>running there...  However, this doesn't happen, so my question is, how do
>I do this...

No, the DNS requests don't come to your box unless you configure delegation
records that say so.  If you want to delegate, you need to add:

<subdomain> IN NS domain.com.

Then lookups for <subdomain>.domain.com or
<anything>.<subdomain>.domain.com will be referred to your box.

There's no way to set up an NS record that works for *all* subdomains --
you have to delegate each one separately.

A better solution might be to have the GraniteCanyon.com servers configured
as secondary servers for the entire domain.com domain, with your server as
the primary.  You can make updates on your server, and they'll be
transferred to the registered servers automatically.  If your box's address
changes, all you need to update is the secondary DNS configuration on
granitecanyon.com.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com