DESTETC /usr/local/etc not created

hoshi sepai h.sepai at mdx.ac.uk
Tue Dec 21 21:01:17 UTC 1999

Hello

I'd appreciate a quick response to my questions below as I'm trying to
re-build our DNS servers before we close the millennium.

I am trying to install Bind 8.2.2 patch 5 on an UltraSparc 5 running
Solaris 2.6 and using gcc 2.95.2

I have followed the instructions in INSTALL in the src directory. I chose
to build in my source tree /opt/bind/src   I am using the standard
src/port/solaris/Makefile.set file which specifies the default path for
DESTETC as /usr/local/etc

The process I have gone through is from with my src directory
/opt/bind/src:-

1) make stdlinks
2) make clean
3) make depend
4) make all
5) rm .settings in /opt/bind/src
6) make install

The problem I experiencing is that after the make install /usr/local/etc is
not created and the named and ndc are copied into /usr/local/sbin

However, the INSTALL instructions state that the ndc control channel
and named.conf file are stored in DESTETC, ie, /usr/local/etc

1) Should the installation process create a /usr/local/etc directory and
store any files into the directory?

2) Is the ndc control channel created dynamically when named starts
up?

3) Are there any disadvantages of locating the DESTETC and
DESTRUN as /etc

4) When installing Solaris is it preferable to specify Other or Done for a
name service given I shall be installing Bind on the system?

5) Is it preferable to install Bind as user bin rather than root?

thanks

Hoshi

Hoshi Sepai                 e-mail: h.sepai at mdx.ac.uk
Middlesex University