DESTETC /usr/local/etc not created

Mark.Andrews at iengines.com Mark.Andrews at iengines.com
Wed Dec 22 05:15:32 UTC 1999

> Hello
>
> I'd appreciate a quick response to my questions below as I'm trying to
> re-build our DNS servers before we close the millennium.
>
> I am trying to install Bind 8.2.2 patch 5 on an UltraSparc 5 running
> Solaris 2.6 and using gcc 2.95.2
>
> I have followed the instructions in INSTALL in the src directory. I chose
> to build in my source tree /opt/bind/src   I am using the standard
> src/port/solaris/Makefile.set file which specifies the default path for
> DESTETC as /usr/local/etc
>
> The process I have gone through is from with my src directory
> /opt/bind/src:-
>
> 1) make stdlinks
> 2) make clean
> 3) make depend
> 4) make all
> 5) rm .settings in /opt/bind/src
> 6) make install
>
> The problem I experiencing is that after the make install /usr/local/etc is
> not created and the named and ndc are copied into /usr/local/sbin
>
> However, the INSTALL instructions state that the ndc control channel
> and named.conf file are stored in DESTETC, ie, /usr/local/etc
>
> 1) Should the installation process create a /usr/local/etc directory and
store any files into the directory?

> 2) Is the ndc control channel created dynamically when named starts
> up?

	Yes.  Though the directory must exist.

> 3) Are there any disadvantages of locating the DESTETC and
> DESTRUN as /etc

	Yes and no.  See the security caveat w.r.t. unix domain sockets and
	the fact the permissions of the socket are ignored.

> 4) When installing Solaris is it preferable to specify Other or Done for a
> name service given I shall be installing Bind on the system?

	Depends.  What do you want all the other databases.  I used to
	use NIS/NIS+ for passwd etc.  So I would install as NIS/NIS+ and
	manualy fix the hosts entry in nswitch.conf to be dns and files.

> 5) Is it preferable to install Bind as user bin rather than root?

	No.

--
Mark Andrews, Internet Engines Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at iengines.com