How can I split a domain

Craig Shrimpton craigs at os.com
Wed Dec 22 20:26:29 UTC 1999

I have a situation that requires running two primary name servers for the
same domain.  A public server and a private server.  The issue I have
involves hosts on the private network resolving  public server records via
the private server's dns.

For example, in my private zone file I have:

privatehost1    IN    A    192.168.1.100
publichost    IN    NS    publicdns.domain.com.

This lets me query the public dns server for listed hosts that are served by
the public machine.  Any private hosts are served directly from the private
dns server.  The problem I'm having is I need to enter a glue record in my
private zone file for every public host that's in the same domain.  That's a
real pain in terms of management.

Is there anyway I can tell my private server that if it doesn't find an RR
for a host in my domain to query the public server next?  I though I could
do it with forwarders but the server doesn't forward queries for domains it
has authority over.

Basically, I want a semi-authoritative dns server.

Thanks,

Craig