Broken ipchains

Bruce Ordway ordway at uswest.net
Mon Dec 27 16:28:21 UTC 1999

Hi,
I've been trying to set up a local DNS server using instructions I found at
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue44/pollman/dns.html.

I have it working I created some problems.

I have a Cisco 675 gateway router as 10.0.0.1.
I have a RH6 Linux DNS/ipchains server as 10.0.0.4.

I set up ipchains per instructions at
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue43/silva.ip_masq.html and it WAS working
for a Win98 client. Ipchains stopped working after I set up DNS, names were
resolved to ip addresses but I could not access web sites in my browser.

To get my Win98 client machine working again, I changed my gateway from
10.0.0.4 (Linux ipchains) to 10.0.0.1 (Cisco router). On this same Win98
client I set my DNS server to 10.0.0.4 (the Linux server with DNS). The
Win98 client works this way, names are resolved to ip addresses AND I
can access web sites with a browser. So the DNS is working on the Linux
server & I
definitely broke ipchains when I set DNS up.

OOPS!

One thing I did was change DOMAIN info on my Linux box while I was setting
up DNS. I used to call this PC rh6.domain. This didn't seem to match
examples in tutorials very well so I picked a totally bogus name of
rh6.bordway.org.

Anyway, are there any ideas on how changing the domain name of a server
effects ipchains? What files in ipchains are related to DNS and domain
names?

Thanks,
Bruce Ordway