Broken ipchains

Bruce Ordway vedevelop at uswest.net
Tue Dec 28 16:22:08 UTC 1999

Hi,
Some additional info:

Well I got DNS working on a Linux server. IP addresses are resolved to names
no problem. I changed the domain name of this server in the process & at the
time it didn't seem to make any difference. I can start a browser on this
server and connect to web sites no problem.

Then I changed the DNS server info on my Win98 client to point to this
server. IP addresses are resolved to names no problem.

But....

This client had been using the server as a gateway (ipchains). I noticed
that when I clicked on a URL in my browser that the status bar would say
"site found, waiting for reply..." & it would eventually time out.

I found that if I click on the stop button while "site found, waiting..." is
displayed, and then click on the URL again, the site is opened with no
problem.

I've changed the gateway on this client and the problem goes away, so I am
pretty sure that it is something happening on the Linux box with ipchains
that causes the browser to hang on the client. But what?

I'm not sure how ipchains and DNS interact, but that is the only thing I've
done differently on this Linux server.

Well, any ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
Bruce Ordway