Error message help?

Gary Rule bugtraq at NesOuppSPorAtnowM.com
Thu Jul 1 18:18:26 UTC 1999

Hello all,
    I have a split DNS setup here at work. My primary DNS server for our
domain has info that the internet needs and I have another DNS server on our
internal network with all our internal data. I have the primay DNSs
/etc/resolv.conf looking like this:

nameserver 192.168.1.253

that is our internal server. I have all our machines pointing to the
internal DNS server and I have the internal machine set up to forward to the
Primary server for the domain.

I also had
forward only;

setup under options. and I started getting an error message in my internal
server's log file  and then the machine locked up. Here is what it said:

Jul  1 12:28:36 dns1 named[10543]: sysquery: findns error (SERVFAIL) on
ns1.socomm.net?
Jul  1 12:28:36 dns1 named[10543]: sysquery: findns error (SERVFAIL) on
ns2.socomm.net?
it kept doing this over and over for different servers
just before this I had this line:
Jul  1 13:19:30 dns1 named[145]: No root nameservers for class IN

I'm guessing this is because I don't have a root.hints file setup on the
internal machine?? I only want that machine to forward to the primary DNS
server....as soon as I took out

forward only;
I STILL get this:

Jul  1 13:19:30 dns1 named[145]: No root nameservers for class IN

but none of the other errors.....

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks
Gary