CNAME problems

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Thu Jul 8 10:19:08 UTC 1999

In article <3783906A.ECD6394F at iname.com>, Sami Yousif <syousif at iname.com> wrote:

>[snip,snip]
>

>> Not me ref!  Firstly I only incidentally saw this correspondence
>> yesterday.  Secondly I'm hostmaster at ed.ac.uk and run
>> xlab-0.ed.ac.uk; we are only secondary for cstr.ed.ac.uk and can't
>> do anything about its serial number.
>
>refuse to be its secondary from them unless they correctly follow the rfcs...
>
>(call the admin contact of the zone on the phone... and "um... due to network
>requirements, we cannot continue to secondary your zone unless the zone
serial is
>correctly incremented after changes as per the RFCs" gets a  quick
response.....)

:-) I'm not sure that would be politically acceptable.  We're talking
about a colleague in a different department of this University who is
(or ought to be) a responsible human being and since he apparently
kicked this thread off (or at least joined it long before I did) and
has presumably seen the answers I trust he'll do something about the
problem in due course.

--
Sam Wilson
Network Services Division, Computing Services