Strange nslookup problem

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Mon Jul 12 19:03:04 UTC 1999

> I'm using bind 8.2.1 with "forwarders-first" option and recursion=yes
> for everybody. I've detected the following problem with one (and the
> only one) domain used as nslookup-argument.
> If i try nslookup -q=any emts.ru 127.0.0.1,
> the following answer appears:
> Server:  localhost
> Address:  127.0.0.1
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> emts.ru internet address = 195.151.3.60
>
> Authoritative answers can be found from:
> (root)  nameserver = A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
> (root)  nameserver = H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
> <skipped>
> L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET      internet address = 198.32.64.12
> M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET      internet address = 202.12.27.33
> ===================================
> The first problem is, that bind did not follow recursive mode.

Yes it did.  Your local name server had the answer, so it didn't need to go
to the forwarder.  You asked for ANY records for emts.ru, and an A record
qualifies as ANY.  ANY is not the same thing as all.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.