Must I have "." zone?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Jul 26 15:37:27 UTC 1999

>         Q1) Must I have a "." zone and a hint file even when I don't use it?

Yes, although this was supposedly done away with in 8.2.1 [sorry, I
still have not had time to test this].

>            If yes, can I put any fool thing in the hint file?

Yes, but it will try to go to whatever you put in there to query for
the REAL root servers; so it makes sense to point it to something (e.g.
your DNS gateway) that will return the names of the root servers.

>         Q2) I am reading DNS&BInd 3rd.Ed p 387 about Internal Roots and I
>         don't have a large name space, nor lots of internal name servers, nor
>         are they geographically distributed.  I don't want to create internal
>         roots.  Why won't my forward pb.com statement work without them?

For the reason named above.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
	PLEASE ... send or Cc: all "COSPO/OSIS Computer Support"
		     mail to sys-adm at cospo.osis.gov