[NEWBIE] Running DNS server off cablemodem

woodstoc dev-null at riverview.com
Mon Jul 26 22:37:37 UTC 1999

In article <379bd3ec.2474660 at news>, adrena1in at NOSPAMhome.com (Chris Adams)
wrote:

> I'm interested in running a DNS server on a FreeBSD box which is
> connected to a cablemodem.

I am fairly certain that cable modems only have around 33.6k of upload
bandwidth. This means anyone outside of your LAN would be querrying your
DNS through a really really small pipe. If you can get another DNS that is
better connected to act as a secondary (slave) to your DNS, then it might
be usable (putting the slave DNS record first in the zone file will
hopefully get most people querrying the zone to talk to the secondary).
The real issue is finding someone to do secondary. Usually your ISP would
do this, but you obviously do not have that option.

As far as how many IP addresses you need, I am not sure. I take it you are
running gated or something similar on your linux box to have it act as a
router (perhaps with NAT) for your other machines on your LAN? I wonder if
BIND can work using that same IP address since it is on the same machine.
You might have to customize gated so that packets with a destination port
of UDP or TCP 53 are not forwared along, but instead handled on by the
linux box itself. I don't know enough about Unix or gated to really know
the answer to this. But it is stuff you can look in to.

> Please edit e-mail address accordingly if replying via e-mail.
Ditto

--
Mike Ayotte
Riverview Systems Group, Inc.