rs.internic.net Sucks, I need help.

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Jul 27 06:26:12 UTC 1999

> I have a domain name (.com) registered, that I registered sometime a
> while back when I started planing it's use, and now I am ready to use
> it.
>
> I know this isn't a bind specific problem, I just don't know where else
> to ask, and since it's all related to DNS troubles, I thought I might
> ask here.
>
> Problem is, seems all the forms don't make any sence to me anymore.
>
> When I do an "nslookup" my DNS's come up in the wrong order, I get:
> NS1.x.com
> NS1.y.com
> NS2.x.com
>
> and they should be:
> NS1.y.com
> NS1.x.com
> NS2.x.com

	I sounds like you are worrying about the order of the NS records
	being returned not being in the same order as they were entered
	onto the registration form.  This is normal behaviour as all
	nameserver for a zone are supposed to have the same information
	so it does not matter which one is queried.  In fact other name
	servers will query all of them over time and use the one which
	is "closest/fastest" to them.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org