Is going to "http://somewhere.com." faster?

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Thu Jul 29 19:13:09 UTC 1999

You don't need a dot at the end in the browser. NSLOOKUP behavior is not
usually the same a resolver. Resolvers will generally NOT append the
local domain to a name that contains any dots in it. So, your browser
will not append mycompany.com to request that have a dot in the name
already. It doesn't need the ending dot. nslookup is a useful tool, but
do not assume it behaves exactly like the local resolver.

Michael Voight
CSE, Cisco TAC