RR conflicts

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Sat Jul 31 17:57:28 UTC 1999

Harold Pritchett wrote:

clipper..

> You need it because properly configured mailers will ALWAYS request the
> MX
> record first, and if not found then go after the A record.  By having
> the MX record, you cut down by half the number of requests.

But, I thought I recalled a nameserver replying with the A record if it
couldn't respond with an MX record.

> If you send mail to the CNAME record, then it will pick up ALL of the
> records of the cannonical name pointed to by the CNAME record.  So if
> you want to do this, the right answer is:
>
> morgank         in      a               1.2.3.4
>                 in      mx      0       morgank
> emc             in      cname           morgank
>
> There is another problem here.  Sendmail, and some other mailers, are
> configured "out of the box" to convert hames to the "cannonical name.:
>
> This means that if you send mail from, in your case, user at emc.ms.com
> the software, when it transmits the message will convert the address
> to user at morgank.ms.com, the cannonical name.

Yes, but you can configure this on sendmail.
Since I haven't sendmail for years I can't rememeber how, but you can do
it. This would be a normal thing, since you might normally want the
address to be bob at domain.com rather bob at hostname.domain.com

Michael