possible problem w/ 8.2.1

Martin, Kevin kevinm at crt.com
Mon Jun 28 15:05:56 UTC 1999

Here's my scenario.

Internal ( non-internet ) resolvable domains.

Top level domain is nb.com
subdomains are nc.nb.com, il.nb.com, tx.nb.com, etc. for all states.

In hosts in the il region our resolv.conf file has a search line for
il.nb.com and nb.com

if i look for a host in the nc.nb.com domain using the FQDN
(host1.nc.nb.com) it looks up fine.  If I do the same lookup as "nslookup
host1.nc" I get a "Server failed" message.  An "nslookup -d2 host1.nc" shows
that it tries to lookup host1.nc.il.nb.com, which I would expect, and, of
course, never finds it.  But that's where it stops searching.  It never
tries to lookup host1.nc.nb.com ( which I would expect it to do based on my
"search" directive in my resolv.conf ).  Any ideas or help is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.

Kevin Martin
Bank of America - CRT