possible problem w/ 8.2.1

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Jun 28 18:42:01 UTC 1999

In article <F931488C3634D11180D700A02461E245016C63BA at chitmd03.nt.il.nbgfn.com>,
Martin, Kevin <kevinm at crt.com> wrote:
>Here's my scenario.
>
>Internal ( non-internet ) resolvable domains.
>
>Top level domain is nb.com
>subdomains are nc.nb.com, il.nb.com, tx.nb.com, etc. for all states.
>
>In hosts in the il region our resolv.conf file has a search line for
>il.nb.com and nb.com
>
>if i look for a host in the nc.nb.com domain using the FQDN
>(host1.nc.nb.com) it looks up fine.  If I do the same lookup as "nslookup
>host1.nc" I get a "Server failed" message.  An "nslookup -d2 host1.nc" shows
>that it tries to lookup host1.nc.il.nb.com, which I would expect, and, of
>course, never finds it.  But that's where it stops searching.  It never
>tries to lookup host1.nc.nb.com ( which I would expect it to do based on my
>"search" directive in my resolv.conf ).  Any ideas or help is greatly
>appreciated.

When it does the host1.nc.il.nb.com, what return code does the server
return?  Does it return SERVFAIL or NXDOMAIN?  The only time that the
search is continued is when it got NXDOMAIN with the previous suffix, as
that is the code that indicates that the name really doesn't exist.  Any
other error code means that the name might exist, but the servers are
screwed up.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com