Is my DNS set up properly for reverse lookups?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Jun 24 18:10:11 UTC 1999

In article <930194404.189.99 at news.remarQ.com>,
Tim Lanza <Tim at Lanzahost.com> wrote:
>zone "333.222.111.in-addr.arpa" {
> notify no;
> type master;
> file "firstdomain.rev";
>};
>zone "333.222.111.in-addr.arpa" {
> notify no;
> type master;
> file "seconddomain.rev";
>};

Did you really mean for these to be the same zone?  You can't have the
same zone listed twice with different files.

If you have multiple forward domains and a single class C, you just need a
single reverse zone.  It will contain PTR records for all your addresses,
pointing to the appropriate hostnames.  If you want to have separate files
for each domain's PTR records, use $INCLUDE within the reverse zone file.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com