Firewall, split dns and the forwarders directive

George W. Miller GM0551S at ACAD.DRAKE.EDU
Fri Jun 25 21:30:15 UTC 1999

Hello,

I am doing some offline experimentation with a split dns arrangement in
conjunction with installation of a Cisco PIX router.  I have established
separate dns servers for "drake.edu" on both sides of the PIX.  The limited
exterior server uses registered numbers; while the 'real' interior server
uses private numbers.

I am using the 'forwarders' directive on the interior server so that questions
about the exterior net will be pursued by the exterior server.

There is a host, called charlie.drake.edu that sits out on the dmz.  My question
is this: will the interior server forward to the exterior server a question
about charlie.drake.edu, even though it has the same domain name as the
interior network?  Thus far, the only way I can get resolution for queries
concerning charlie is if I place an entry in the interior server host file.

Thanks.
George

George W. Miller, Director
Networking and Technical Services