TTL decrementing too fast

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Jun 25 18:47:53 UTC 1999

In article <7l05a0$717$1 at news.appliedtheory.com>,  <alexk at tugger.net> wrote:
>As can be seen, the TTL in the Answer section was decreasing dramatically
>over the period of 15 seconds (the final dig it should have been at 4m20s)
>
>This happened for about a good ten minutes, and then went away.
>
>Anybody ever see anything like that before?

The SOA record was received by the caching server in the Additional Records
section of an earlier query.  Data from Additional Records is timed out
at an accellerated rate.  Every time it's looked up the TTL is decremented
by an additional 5%.  This is because there's no way to tell how
authoritative the server is for the additional data; the AA flag in the
header only applies to the data in the Answers section.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com