Forwarding problems and lame NS

Hubert.QUARANTEL at DSI.VLY.sextant.thomson-csf.com Hubert.QUARANTEL at DSI.VLY.sextant.thomson-csf.com
Fri Jun 4 15:30:54 UTC 1999

Hi,

	I finally found what was the reason of the "skipping lame NS "
problem... dns.ENTERPRISE.GROUP.com was running bind 8.2 with an invalid
config file due to syntax errors... I do apologize...
	But I still have another problem:
		at th efirst time I ask dns.PARIS.ENTERPRISE.GROUP.com any address in
GROUP.com everything works perfectly in term of recursion/forwarding,
but at the second time dns.PARIS.ENTERPRISE.GROUP.com tries to contact
directly nameservers of GROUP.com it as cached IP adresses, despite of
the "forward only" directive...

mvoight at cisco.com wrote:

> Can you provide the named.conf file of the Paris server?

options {
        has-old-clients yes;
        auth-nxdomain yes;

        check-names master warn;
        notify          no;

        recursion yes;
        forward  only;
        forwarders {AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD;};

        directory       /dns;
};

zone "."        in {
        type    hint;
        file    "db.cache";
};

zone    "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA"  in {
        type    master;
        file    "db.127.0.0";
};

zone    "PARIS.ENTERPRISE.GROUP.com"   in {
        type    master;
        file    "db.PARIS";
};

zone    "CCC.BBB.AAA.IN-ADDR.ARPA"         in {
        type    master;
	file	"db.AAA.BBB.CCC";
};

I had to hide real IP addresses and real names because of the Network
Security Agents...

> Is it an authoritative server for ENTERPRISE.GROUP.com?

dns.PARIS.ENTERPRISE.GROUP.com is only authoritative for
PARIS.ENTERPRISE.GROUP.com
and so on for city nameservers

and dns1.ENTERPRISE.GROUP.com is authoritative ofr ENTERPRISE.GROUP.com

> What do the NS records for Enterprise.group.com look like?

things like
	PARIS				IN	NS	dns.PARIS.ENTERPRISE.GROUP.com
	dns.PARIS.ENTERPRISE.GROUP.com	IN	A	AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD
	LONDON				IN	NS	dns.LONDON.ENTERPRISE.GROUP.com
	dns.LONDON.ENTERPRISE.GROUP.com	IN	A	AAA.BBB.EEE.FFF

> Is london.enterprise.group.com delegated from enterprise.group.com?
yep !

> If you are listing the root server with the cache, why are you also
> pointing to it as a forwarder?

named complains about "no root nameservers found..." if the cache file
is empty or if I disable the hint zone... but on the other hand, if
GROUP.com nameservers are mentioned in the cache file named ignores the
forwrading directives...

> Michael

	Now, the problem seems to be that named just ingores the
recursion/forwrd directives, and i can't figure out why ???

thanx to everybody feeling concerned, I do sincerely apprecieate your
help...

+      Hubert Quarantel-Colombani                                     +
+            Sextant Avionique (Velizy) DSI/SYS/SR                    +
+      tel Sextant:         [+33 | 0] 1 46 29 51 34                   +
+      courriel Sextant:    Hubert.Quarantel at sextant.thomson-csf.com  +