Help re: MX record

E.W. Peter Jalajas jalajas at mediaone.net.us
Sat Jun 5 04:19:34 UTC 1999

Is this the place for a beginner to ask about the following?

I have MediaOne cable modem internet service.  It permits me to host a
web server from my desktop.  I registered jalajas.com at InterNIC and
registered my IP address (rarely changes) with granitecanyon.  So,
browser requests to jalajas.com load pages from my desktop webserver.
My problem is:  how can I get mail sent to *@jalajas.com sent to my
pre-existing me at mediaone.net email address?

Is it as simple as putting an MX record in my SOA listing at
granitecanyon?  What would it look like (" *.jalajas.com. IN MX 10
me.mediaone.net. ; EXTREF GLOBALOK "  does NOT seem to work)?  Can I
pick the mail server info off of mail headers?  Must I get MediaOne's
mail servers modified to accept the user at jalajas.com mail (I don't think
they support such extra effort)?  Is there some other trick I can use,
such as installing a mail server on my web server?

And as:
sabbah22 at my-deja.com wrote:
<snip>
> Please help! Thanks in advance for any assistance, and try not to laugh
> too hard after reading this...

Pete Jalajas