Getting started

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Jun 8 14:58:38 UTC 1999

   From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy at cospo.osis.gov>
   Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 10:52:59 -0400 (EDT)

   > In article <199906072131.RAA11024 at fw1.osis.gov>,
   > Joseph S D Yao  <jsdy at cospo.osis.gov> wrote:
   > >There's also a host template.  You can register the hosts first, then
   > >register the domain with the hosts you had registered as the name
   > >servers.  See <URL: ftp://networksolutions.com/template/host-template.txt>.
   >
   > No, you don't.  If you're registering a new domain, you provide the host
   > info in the Domain template, you don't send in a separate Host template.
   > You only need to use the Host template if you're changing the address of an
   > existing host.

   It may work differently in different domains, then.  The above is the
   information I got from the corresponding form at the .mil NIC.  And,
   yes, I hadn't remembered the host template from non-.mil activity; but
   I figured things were changing.

   Sorry, I should have added that caveat.

I was only referring to domains registered at internic.net, now
networksolutions.com (i.e. .com, .org, .net, and .edu domains).  That
seemed to be what the original poster was asking about.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com