Getting started

Michael Faurot look at my.sig
Tue Jun 8 20:58:21 UTC 1999

Barry Margolin <barmar at bbnplanet.com> wrote:
:    From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy at cospo.osis.gov>
:    Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 10:52:59 -0400 (EDT)

:    > In article <199906072131.RAA11024 at fw1.osis.gov>, Joseph S D Yao
:    > <jsdy at cospo.osis.gov> wrote: >There's also a host template. You
:    > can register the hosts first, then >register the domain with
:    > the hosts you had registered as the name >servers. See <URL:
:    > ftp://networksolutions.com/template/host-template.txt>.
:    >
:    > No, you don't. If you're registering a new domain, you provide
:    > the host info in the Domain template, you don't send in a
:    > separate Host template. You only need to use the Host template if
:    > you're changing the address of an existing host.

I wound up calling Network Solutions to get clarification on this.
This is indeed what they said.  If one is going to be running their
own primary and secondary servers and the domain that these servers
will be under is not yet regiestered, you just fill out the domain
template only.

:    It may work differently in different domains, then. The above is
:    the information I got from the corresponding form at the .mil NIC.
:    And, yes, I hadn't remembered the host template from non-.mil
:    activity; but I figured things were changing.

:    Sorry, I should have added that caveat.

: I was only referring to domains registered at internic.net, now
: networksolutions.com (i.e. .com, .org, .net, and .edu domains). That
: seemed to be what the original poster was asking about.

Yup, that was all I was interested in.