Automatic removal of DNS record from Secondary Bind Server.

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Jun 16 20:32:39 UTC 1999

In article <F7E91063E41FD3119D1200A0C949700871A2 at plutonium.hypercon.com>,
Jeff S. Spofford <jspofford at hypercon.com> wrote:
>I run two DNS servers on RedHat Linux 5.2. (A primary and secondary server)
>Right now, when I remove a domain out of dns on the primary server, I must
>log on to the secondary server, and manually remove the record from it.
>
>Is there a way that anyone knows of that I can set up bind on my primary
>server so that it automatically removes the record from my secondary server
>when I remove a it from the primary?

It should happen automatically.  That's the whole point of secondary
servers.

Are you incrementing the serial number on the primary when you do this?
The secondary server should automatically update its copy of the zone when
it notices that the serial number has increased.  The Refresh time in the
SOA record specifies how often it will check the primary to see if the
serial number has changed (if you use BIND 8 the master server will send a
NOTIFY message to the slave servers, so that it will happen even sooner).

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com