Nameserver TTL's

Matthew Marlowe mmarlowe at jalan.com
Sun Jun 20 03:20:12 UTC 1999

Hello,

We all know that the TTL's in DNS don't always take
effect when we expect them due to web caching and policies
imposed by different providers, but I am not quite sure how
the following is happening:

A domain "etown.com", was recently switched between providers.
The old providers nameservers were "ns1.methodfive.com" and
"ns2.methodfive.com" which had TTL values of 2 Days.  The
new providers nameservers are "jedi.colo.jalan.com" and
"keats.jalan.com" which has TTL values of 1HR.

It's been almost 7 days since the changes were put into effect
on the root nameservers, yet there are still provider nameservers
out there showing the authoritive nameservers for the domain to be
the methodfive ones.

In particular, ns1.ironlight.com, shows that it just reloaded it's
nameservers and that the TTL for the methodfive servers is again
near two days.

How can this be happening?
Any ideas?

Thanks,