Running DNS on a pacbell DSL static ip

pvmedia at my-deja.com pvmedia at my-deja.com
Sun Jun 20 07:50:50 UTC 1999

I posted this in comp.dcom.xdsl because I'm trying to get a dns server
running on my linux box with a static ip served by Pacbell DSL.  I'm
still waiting for internic to update my domain dns info.  But this is
what I have so far:

The dilema is that pacbell will not provide any dns routing to my
single ip unless I give them a lot more money.  So I'll happily do it
myself.  The confusion starts when my ip is already mapped to something
like this:

adsl-216-101-213-155.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net

But I want it mapped to mybogusdomain.com

Since John's example is in NT-speak, I am trying my best to make a
linux equivalent.
As far as I understand, there are 4 key files to deal with:

named.conf
127.0.0
216.101.213
mybogusdomain.com

In the named.conf file, I have:
zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "root.hints";
};
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "pz/127.0.0";
};
zone "mybogusdomain.com" {
        notify no;  //will change to yes when I get it right
        type master;
        file "pz/mybogusdomain.com";
};

The other three files have "host.mybogusdomain.com" as the SOA,
not "adsl-216-101-213-155.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net"  If I do use this
long name of pacbell's, my name resolution becomes:
"mybogusdomain.com.adsl-216-101-213-155.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net"

What am I doing wrong?  Do I really need to use pacbell's long name
somewhere?  Why?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/